Vivaaaa Las Vegas!
Trip Start Nov 22, 2009
35Trip End Nov 06, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
Las Vegas...what can I say? What more really, is there to say? The City of Sin certainly lives up to its name, and it's difficult to describe to you what Las Vegas is really like. You hear about it, but you don't quite realise until you're there - it really is a place where all concept of time is lost. There would be days where we would get back to our hotel at the end of the day, and I would have completely forgotten what we had done that day, or what we had just eaten for dinner. It's a city where something is constantly happening, but also one where everything is the same, where everything seems to mould in together, making it hard to differentiate between one hotel or casino and the next. I can understand perfectly now, how someone can gamble their life away in Vegas - there isn't anything else to do! All those dollar notes slipped into slot machines during moments of boredom have surely added up to half a decent meal or two
But it's a place that is definitely a must see. We had an amazing time! There is so much to see and do there, and to try and squeeze it all in was an impossible task, but we definitely tried! Here is a list, well as much as I can remember anyway.
- Stratosphere: we went up to the viewing deck to get some eagle eye views of Vegas, we were there at sunset so some really nice photos..and there are three rollercoasters there too which we didn't get to but look like lots of fun!
- The Mirage: we saw the volcano erupt outside the hotel - loved every time they spurted out fire, because it kept us warm in the cold desert night!
- MGM: saw the lion exhibit (a little boring, since all they seemed to want to do was sleep) and also participated in their Television City program, which is basically like audience/program research for tv. So they get you to watch a program they've developed, then give feedback at the end to say what you liked/disliked about it...so if you ever see a show called "Undercover Boss" on television, we participated in its review!
- Mandalay Bay: we went to see the Lion King in this 14 carat gold hotel and it was great
- Bellagio: the dancing water is awesome as always, but it was here that I saw my first Cirque du Soleil show, 'O'. There are really no words to describe what it was like. There was so much happening on the stage, but it all fit together. There was an underlying story but the acrobatics were really impressive. Every detail had been taken care of, every person in every corner of the stage had a stage presence, they couldn't be faulted anywhere...AND they successfully added an elemnt of humour! I absolutely adored it, and would definitely go see another Cirque show again! (there are about 8 of them throughout all the casinos on the Strip)
New York, New York: the replicas of NY sites outside this hotel and casino are amazing! We rode the rollercoaster and it was awesome fun!
There were a whole bunch of other casinos and hotels that we walked through, but to write them all down would take an age and this post is already as long enough as it is! We also did a day trip out to the Grand Canyon - the helicopter ride was amazing, and the Canyon is as impressive as always.