Hey ho.....

Trip Start Jan 02, 2013
1
10
53
Trip End Mar 23, 2013


Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
shadow

Flag of New Zealand  , South Island,
Sunday, January 13, 2013

Well, what an anti-climax the glaciers turned out to be.....

We drove through miserable weather down the West Coast and inland to Franz Josef and got ourselves billeted in the back yard of a backpackers hostel right in the centre of town. We went to the I-site and booked a heli-trek for the following afternoon at Fox glacier, there being no availability at Franz Josef, presumably on account of absolutely nothing going on the glacier on that day.

So we got stuck in to waterproofing the tent. What a fine job we made. 2nd coat went on yesterday (in Wanaka). It's a fine job. Not a chance I'll be getting a soaking during the night henceforth....

We thought it sensible to take a walk up to the glacier at Franz Josef before departing to Fox for our flight - just in case!!! So we did. It's quite impressive and difficult to conceive just how much melt water is flowing down from it. We were only at 300 metres above sea level at the toe of the glacier and though it was perhaps a few degrees cooler than we'd experienced, it certainly wasn't cold. Clearly an enormous volume of ice is fuelling the temperature in the core of glacier which is stopping it melting higher up above sea level. So the few photos you can see are of Franz Josef taken generally from as close as we were allowed to meander.

Off to Fox! We had a little walk around a glacial lake called Mattheson Lake - very pretty - just outside Fox and the folks in the cafe poisoned me with a beef and Brie panini. God, I felt bad for about four to five hours. Don't think I've ever known such pain. But Neil rallied round - he even put my tent up for me when we reached Wanaka. Greater love hath no son....

Anyway, back to Fox..... We popped into the booking hall ten minutes before we were due to check in so we could pay and the lady said "no point paying yet, we're just waiting for a weather report". So we waited and at 2.50pm, we went to the desk again to be told that it had been cancelled due to the "unstable clouds". Well, call me a cynic but my instinct tells me that they'd probably actually only sold two tickets and were refusing to run it for that reason! So no heli-trek!! Sorry Hels, but we've allocated the money you left us for something which hopefully will be equally exciting! So, I don't think I'm too keen on Fox in general!!!

The good news was that we could now make it all the way to Wanaka, our next scheduled stop. And so we did. We're having a lazy day or two here before advancing to Queenstown for my adrenalin fix! Sadly, I get the feeling that Neil is more interested in mountain hikes than jetboats....Well, what an anti-climax the glaciers turned out to be.....

We drove through miserable weather down the West Coast and inland to Franz Josef and got ourselves billeted in the back yard of a backpackers hostel right in the centre of town. We went to the I-site and booked a heli-trek for the following afternoon at Fox glacier, there being no availability at Franz Josef, presumably on account of absolutely nothing going on the glacier on that day.

So we got stuck in to waterproofing the tent. What a fine job we made. 2nd coat went on yesterday (in Wanaka). It's a fine job. Not a chance I'll be getting a soaking during the night henceforth....

We thought it sensible to take a walk up to the glacier at Franz Josef before departing to Fox for our flight - just in case!!! So we did. It's quite impressive and difficult to conceive just how much melt water is flowing down from it. We were only at 300 metres above sea level at the toe of the glacier and though it was perhaps a few degrees cooler than we'd experienced, it certainly wasn't cold. Clearly an enormous volume of ice is fuelling the temperature in the core of glacier which is stopping it melting higher up above sea level. So the few photos you can see are of Franz Josef taken generally from as close as we were allowed to meander.

Off to Fox! We had a little walk around a glacial lake called Mattheson Lake - very pretty - just outside Fox and the folks in the cafe poisoned me with a beef and Brie panini. God, I felt bad for about four to five hours. Don't think I've ever known such pain. But Neil rallied round - he even put my tent up for me when we reached Wanaka. Greater love hath no son....

Anyway, back to Fox..... We popped into the booking hall ten minutes before we were due to check in so we could pay and the lady said "no point paying yet, we're just waiting for a weather report". So we waited and at 2.50pm, we went to the desk again to be told that it had been cancelled due to the "unstable clouds". Well, call me a cynic but my instinct tells me that they'd probably actually only sold two tickets and were refusing to run it for that reason! So no heli-trek!! Sorry Hels, but we've allocated the money you left us for something which hopefully will be equally exciting! So, I don't think I'm too keen on Fox in general!!!

The good news was that we could now make it all the way to Wanaka, our next scheduled stop. And so we did. We're having a lazy day or two here before advancing to Queenstown for my adrenalin fix! Sadly, I get the feeling that Neil is more interested in mountain hikes than jetboats....
Slideshow Report as Spam

Comments

Jane on

A great shame chaps! Sorry about the gut rot - shades of Cochin / Goa!
PS - you've uploaded the same thing twice - unless I've lost the plot! Nice hoodie!

Helen on

Oh dear guys :( Sad face. What a big shame. The fact that we went in winter and had one of the best days out whilst in NZ and you guys went in the summer and got crap weather, very annoying. Yep save the money and spend it on something exciting or adventurous, Dan suggested a boat trip on the Milford Sounds if you go there?? Very worth the money!

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: