Home at last!
Trip Start Nov 06, 2009
35Trip End Mar 26, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
And shoo wee how we had missed civilisation!!
Since we havent blogged in a month or so, (and seeing as though i have a memory like a seive) we'll spare you the full monty
story of family reunions with my lovely sisters and their adorable children and my wonderful mom, ok i'll stop now,
and go for a bullet point summary of our time in SA instead.
- After a very long day in Livingstone we finally arrived in good old durbs, jumped in our hire car and drove up to the berg!
We stayed in a lovely cottage at Champagne Castle overlooking the berg, and i finally got to meet my new little niece
Isabella, although im still too scared of her to hold her, kids are scary!
- Mum got married in the little chapel on the resort, what a lovely wedding, it ended with all the sisters dancing outside
and a bit of a full monty show from the brothers in law, looks like dave is in good company with my billys;)
- the rest of the days in the berg were spent around the pool, with dave playing chess against my niece and nephew with a
beer in hand at 10am...gotta love being on holiday:) we also managed to get a round of golf in whre dave lost all his balls
and couldnt play his last shot on the 18th green, ha ha ha!
- Before we left the dave and i got an early christmas present from my family and went on the Drakensberg Canopy Tour! Basically
its cabling along the canopy of the forest across all the ravines coming down the berg! Flipping scary but when i saw that
my 6 year old nephew could do it with no fear i knew i better pull my socks up and put on a brave face
experience, i especially enjoyed giggling at dave in all his attire, some attributes accentuated more than most, i'll let you
see for yourself;)
- Back in Durbs i started to psych myself up for what lay ahead...my PADI open water! all went ok on days 1,2, and 3, day 4
however (the part where you actually get in the sea and do all that youve learnt in the pool) was a different ball game
all together! Lets just say it all ended in tears, and it was of course all davids fault! And i now realise that i have a
distinct fear of jellyfish (theyre really big up close!!), swell, and what the divers call "surge"....who would have
thought you can still get sea sick when youre sitting on the sea bed...not a happy experience and why i keep doing this to
myself i dont know, its like im trying to punish myself for something??!! Anyway, i only have one more qualifying dive which
dave and i decided i would do it in Oz where the visibility is hopefully a bit better than the green soup of the Durban coastline
- That night my sisters and mum threw a surprise bday braai for dave, its funny to see him the centre of attention, i thought
i was the only one that enjoyed it so much but dave seems to share my enthusiasm for attention;)
- Christmas was spent with the family, only in good old SA could you have an electricity cut on Christmas Eve!
Christmas day was at mums house, and im not sure who was enjoying the toys more, dave and my
brother in law christie or the kids!
- Boxing day we went to the England vs South Africa cricket test match at Kingsmead, we finally had good weather and dave
drained through the beers as the day progressed.
Once again we find ourselves in an airport, waiting to board our flight to Sydney!! We tried our luck with all the airport lounges
but none of the ladies at the front desks were buying daves charm so instead were sitting on those "really comfy" metal chairs:(
All in all an awesome time in SA and thank you so much to my lovely family for making it so special for us and for all the spoils:)