The Decision Point!

Trip Start Jul 22, 2009
1
39
163
Trip End Ongoing


Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
shadow
Where I stayed

Flag of Canada  , Ontario,
Saturday, September 19, 2009

When I decided to head to Montreal I contacted Nick and asked if he'd have some time away from classes to spend some time together. I wasn't sure exactly when I'd get to Kingston, whether mid-week or on the weekend. He indicated that he was busy till after 7 PM most weekdays and that this weekend he was heading to Ottawa for a marathon called the Army Run.

After a few messages back and forth he found out that the bus to Ottawa from RMC for the run would leave Kingston at 4 am on Sunday. He preferred an alternate plan. Instead of me going to Kingston towards the end of the week and spending Saturday together in Kingston and him having to get up quite early on Sunday, that he would request leave to drive to Ottawa on Friday and meet me there. It took till late on Thursday, but he did get the approval. Until that point in time I didn't know whether I was heading to Kingston or Ottawa.

I arrived in Ottawa and figured it was errand day. I hadn't had one in a long time and this one was way overdue. Changed the oil in the truck (way overdue), did some grocery shopping (Mother Hubbard's cupboards were bare) and washed the grimy, filthy truck (but it started raining as I was drying it even though the sun was shining). I had planned on getting a haircut but the rain forced me to head back to the campground.

Nick showed up late last night with a few other members of the fencing team. They had a practice and the three others' parents live in Ottawa, so getting the ride from Nick allowed them to see family prior to the run on Sunday.

Nick had homework to do and so that was what he did today. I finally got my haircut. Did some reading and finally wrote a blog entry on the actual day I say I'm writing it for (this one). The we went out for supper.

The final order of the day was figuring out in which direction I was heading. The destination is Calgary by the first week of October with a layover in Winnipeg a few days before. The shortest distance is straight west above lake Michigan and under Lake Superior. The fastest (per my GPS) is southwest under the Great Lakes and through Chicago. The less stressful would be northern Ontario and somewhat longer then the shortest and slower then the fastest.

But the route I have been planning on taking all along is detouring south and then west through the US States I haven't been through yet. That is, West Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri. I've set certain "goals" or milestones in life and since I have control over those, figured I'd do that. The problem is the forced deadline. Rushing through those states and not being able to enjoy them is something that I'm not too sure I want to do at this time. I'm tired of rushing. I've done too much of that lately.

And so, I'm not deciding until the morning when I'm ready to leave and since I just wrote an entry on faith I won't be planning my trip and will be just "winging" the stops. The people in my life will have to have faith as I'm not planning on updating my status until I get to Winnipeg sometime in the next 10 days.

So, for the next 10 or so days I'll be somewhere in North America.





Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: