Off-roading with the trailer

Trip Start Nov 15, 2011
Trip End Nov 14, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Montana
Tuesday, April 24, 2012

We were on our way early this morning but hadn't gone far when a deer ran across the road in front of us, soon to be followed by another.  Cliff had just about brought us to a standstill when another deer appeared right in front of the truck.  We didn't stand a chance, and unfortunately clipped his back quarter.  The deer stumbled, tumbled over in the grass, then leapt up to follow his pals, who promptly ran back across the road from behind the trailer, right in front of a car on the other side of the road.  We didn't stick around to see how that turned out! 

We were just getting over that when a school bus appeared coming towards us.  Suddenly it put on its red lights and stopped, just as three children ran down a track in front of us.  Quick braking again!  We decided we needed fortifying with breakfast at McDonalds, before anything else happened.

We drove alongside the Yellowstone River, through wide open farmland and rolling hills, until we got to Laurel, just outside of Billings.  Laurel has a large rail yard which was full of trains manoeuvring; Christine is not sure how we stayed on the highway, Cliff was so busy watching the trains!

Next we were in the wide open plains of buffalo country, heading to our campsite at Garryowen.  We turned off the highway and were confronted with a sign saying 'pavement ends', so we continued on the graded road towards 7th Ranch.  The campsite is fantastic, 86 sites and we have it all to ourselves!  Strictly speaking they are not due to open until next week, but agreed to let us stay overnight.  It is so peaceful sitting here just listening to the sound of the birds, and the occasional train of course.

After we unhitched we went to visit the Little Bighorn Battlefield, and the Custer Museum, which were very interesting.  Then it was down to the one and only gas station in Garryowen - to find their diesel pumps 'out of service'.  Great!  We had the choice of going back 26 miles to Hardin, or continuing on the I-90 tomorrow another 60 miles to Sheridan.  We had already decided that we would prefer out trip tomorrow to be more scenic and not on the highway so, it was back to Hardin.

Cliff didn't want to come back along the I-90 so we used the Frontage Road alongside the highway, until it ran out a quarter mile from our junction, which we could see in the distance.  Some more off-roading was required to get us back on track!  Cliff is now sitting outside, trying to get pictures of the birds who are twittering away, and of the lightning as a storm passes over us, and watch the trains at the same time - he's loving it.

Oh dear, spoke too soon.  It's 6:30pm and another truck and trailer has just pulled in.  However, it seems they are going to keep us entertained for a while; the lady has stormed into the trailer and slammed the door, before they are even unhitched.  She keeps opening the door and hurling abuse at her husband, before slamming back into the trailer - who needs TV!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: