Octopus Diving

Trip Start Jan 19, 2005
Trip End Feb 23, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Vietnam  ,
Thursday, February 10, 2005

"Thomas, wake up! The bus picks us up in 5 minutes!!!"

These were my first words of the day. Today we were scheduled to go scuba diving, but we just about didn't make it. After having a fairly rowdy night(thanks to New Year's Eve), both my roommate and I had a lot of trouble waking up in time. Foolishly, we booked a dive trip that started at 8 a.m., the day after the big Tet celebrations.

Well, as the above quotation says, I woke up to find that it was 7:55 a.m., and the bus would be arriving in 5 minutes. We scrambled around the room, threw all our stuff in our backpacks (as we had to check-out from the hotel as well), and stumbled down the steps, bleary-eyed, to the reception.

Not surprisingly, a staff member of "Octopus Diving" was waiting impatiently for us.

We didn't say too much when we made it to the marina, or during the hour that the boat took to get us to the nearest reef. We were pretty tired.

The dive site that we went to was littered with tourist boats. There were heaps of diving companies there, and a lot of snorkellers just bobbing about in the water. It was actually quite disappointing. Here we are about an hour away from the mainland and there are more people near me now then there would be on the beaches of Nha Trang. Unbelievable.

Not too many people actually dived from our boat. Most were there for the snorkelling. Thomas, a Czech girl, the dive master, and myself, set out into the water. Truth be told, it was a little disappointing, but I still enjoyed it. After having dived the Great Barrier Reef several times, this definitely paled in comparison. Visibility was less. There were fewer fish. No big fish. The coral was interesting, but really wasn't too vivid. Nonetheless, this is supposed to be the best dive site in 'Nam, and I now can say I've dived Vietnam.

We took two dives and then headed back to town.

Thomas and I hunted down a place that sold hamburgers in Nha Trang, as the Vietnamese food really wasn't working for us. I find that after I have had a huge Vietnamese meal, I'm inevitably hungry about an hour to two hours later. We were hoping a Western meal might solve this problem. And yes, essentially it did.

Around 6 pm we hopped on a bus and headed out to Hoi An. We didn't arrive at our new hotel until around 3 a.m.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: