Trip Start Jun 05, 2010
68Trip End Aug 13, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
We will need to move ourselves along with our pets, (did I mention we are traveling with our pets? Chula, our 60lb lab/ret mix and Sugar, our big white cat) out of our house and into the RV. We have no intention of ever moving back into our house. The roadtrip itself is only 10 weeks but we could end up living in the RV for 6 or 8 months before finding another house! This will mean majorly downsizing. 2 adults, a pre-teen girl, a dog, a cat and a gold fish moving from a 1400sf home into a 300sf RV! Oye vey.
Here are some of the major tasks:
1) Sell stuff. We've had a couple yard sales and sold some things on craigslist but we still have a ways to go as I am sort of a "hoarder".
2) Pack up everything except the few belongings that we will need in the RV. We (mostly Vonnie) already started in on this one.
3) Get a storage unit big enough to hold (almost) everything in our house and cram it all in there. I think we are looking at a 20 x 10 unit. Around $150 a month! Damn! With no idea when we will have another home to move into that $150mo could add up.
4) Move into the RV. We should be out of the house by mid April. Shit! That's in, like, 3 weeks!. Better get a move on. Oh Ya. We have to thank Vonnie's Dad for being so cool as to let us park the trailer out at his property. We will live there for a few weeks so we won't have to rent a campsite while we are getting ready to go. Big money saver! Thanks Larry!!
5) Get the house cleaned and prepped for renters. Luckily we have a couple of hired hands in mind to help us out here. We will also have a landscaper hired to take care of the property while we are on the road.
6) Get the house rented out by May 15th at the latest. (We're shooting for May 1st)
7) Save money. We started a savings account a few months ago but we are still nowhere near our goal. I'm hoping we will be able to scrounge up as much as possible before the departure date so we won't have to borrow from our credit card. I speculate we are looking at $3500 in fuel alone! Ouch!!
8) Make the rig ready for travel. I need to do some maintenance on the truck and trailer, both, before we leave. Wash and wax, wheel bearings re-packed, exhaust brake installed, install cat door through to basement (we hope to keep a litter box in the basement of the RV for Sugar),....etc. This list will probably grow, I'm sure, as we are living in the trailer.
I know I'm missing a bunch of stuff but this list covers the basics. Oh... and we need to continue working 40 to 60 hours a week while pulling all of this off! Wish us luck.
One more thing.... I have to mention that one of my greatest friends is leaving today on a trip to Chile where he will live and work for an undisclosed amount of time. Knowing Schwartz, I'm sure he will have an amazing story to tell. He will be blogging about his travels here. http://kjchile.blogspot.com Good luck to you Schwartz!