Yes... it is really ours

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Saturday, September 18, 2010

The boat stayed on it's little jetty outside Steve and Bernadine's  Northbridge home for the next 6 weeks while we sorted out things at home, finishing off jobs and getting ready to return to Sydney.  It was the end of June before we returned, this time by car with a load and a half of goodies to start making our boat a new traveling home.

Steve and Bernadine were amazing.  We spent the next 3 days living on their pontoon, traveling up and down on their travellator, using their boathouse shower and loo.  What an experience it was living in Northbridge for a couple of days!!!   Although freezing we made the best of every minute we spent there, waiting for the electronics to be installed on the boat, getting ready for the big trip bringing her home to South Australia.

One of the funniest experiences was us two Hillbilly's shopping at a big shopping centre (Chatsward Chase)  in Sydney...  Not only where we overwhelmed by the magnitude of this building but we finished up more lost in a shopping centre than either of us really want to remember.  When it takes nearly 2 hours to find your car.....   and your feet are at the stage they are throbbing because they are so sore,  you realize that you should just leave all these fancy shops for those who know how to find their car.

The next day, was Daryl's birthday and I had decided to buy a 12 volt tv for the boat for him this year - so back to the shops.  But we did chose a smaller shopping centre where it was easier for us to find our way around, bought our tv/dvd player and then set back to the boat.  The boat was moved while we were out shopping to THE SPIT MARINA to finish off putting the automatic pilot, plotter-sounder and a new radio in.  After finding somewhere to park the car where we wouldn't need to take out a bank loan to pay the parking fees, we caught a tender service out to our boat and stepped aboard.  For the first time we REALLY REALLY felt like it was our boat.  We were off the jetty that had been home for Caterina for 6 years and now bobbled around on a mooring in Quakers Hat Bay for a mere $390 a month. - lotta money for a piece of rope in the water!!!!  But hey - that is Sydney!

Our next quest, now all the electronics were on (just toys for Daryl to play with, I think)  was to learn how to sail this baby.   We asked around and contacted Seawind, the company,  and found a lovely couple called, Neil and Deb, some Pommie Immigrants who taught sailing around the bay.   They came aboard with us and we had our first sailing lesson.   My god!!!   We were just exhausted by the end of the day - so much to learn!   I was rapt because this couple basically made us do all the work and their friendly way of instructing us was so encouraging - would recommend them to anyone wanting to learn how to sail.   After a big big day, we dropped them back at the Spit Marina and decided to give it a go on our own.   With our Jib up (not confident enough to go main sail) we headed up some of the little arms of the harbor and for the first time ever...   WE WERE SAILING ON OUR OWN!!!!!  We checked out houses here there and everywhere.  We had spent ten years dreaming of doing this and finally - only a little sail, only the jib up, but we were doing it without motors and the boat actually moved.   A priceless day for both of us - we had one of life's really brilliant experiences out on the water - our dream was coming true.
 We then headed back to our piece of rope at Quaker's Hat Bay....  A quick dinner - too tired to do any more and we both fell into bed and chatted until we fell asleep.

Our week in Sydney had to end so we packed up our eskies, clothes and belongings, loaded them into our car and started our journey back to Coffin Bay.   It was a quiet trip for the first little bit - neither of us wanted to leave.

We knew it would be a while before we could return because we were still renting and our new house was still not livable.    Our next priority was we had to get into the new house and out of paying rent.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: