Saying good bye to Lago Atitlan

Trip Start Sep 10, 2006
Trip End ??? ??, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Guatemala  ,
Monday, October 30, 2006

Saturday the 28th we woke at 4:45am to get ready for our hike up Volcan San Pedro. Met our guide outside our place and started up the hill. We had a 40 minute walk to the entrance station during which Casey was not looking so good. But she pushed on anyway. At the entrance station I read the information posters and Casey did not, a clue that should have tipped me off as to how she was feeling. She always reads everything. The hike was strenuous and straight up through coffee fields, corn fields and pine forests. It was very beautiful. We got to the Mirador (lookout) and took a rest. Casey still was not feeling good but she wanted to push on. So on we went, up an even steeper trail. At another rest spot casey actually gave her pack to me to carry, now I knew she was really not doing well. Soon after, she was puking off the side of the trail. I was trying to have a conversation with our guide with the very little Spanish I have, I even had to yell to Casey while she was off pooping in the woods to get a word in spanish. To say the least, this was not a good hike and we decided to head back down the mountain. On the way down she was second guessing her decision but it was a good one since she was not doing well. Back in town, the rest of the day was spent resting, weaving and taking care of some business. Early-to-bed night for sure.
Sunday the 29th we had our last breakfast with Maria and said our goodbyes to the family and got a boat to Panajachel. We stashed our packs at the front desk of some fancy hotel and walked to the Reserva Natural Atitlan. This was a really cool park set right on the lake in the jungle. They had an area that had some spider monkeys and coatis (a racoon like animal). The monkeys were very active swinging and climbing all over the place. We thought we were being naughty by throwing the monkeys and coatis some bananas we had, but we found out later that it was ok to do. It was neat to see them all fight for the food and stare at us for more. The rest of the hike was cool, through the dense green jungle over suspension bridges and by waterfalls. It was a great hike. The reserve also had a butterfly garden but this was pretty lame and we saw more butterflies while hiking. After a few hours here at the reseve we headed back into town to catch a bus to Malacas.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: