The Power of Adelaide

Trip Start Sep 28, 2009
Trip End Apr 22, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
BIG4 Adelaide Shores Caravan Park
BIG4 Marion Holiday Park

Flag of Australia  , South Australia,
Friday, April 8, 2011


Monday 21st March 2011

We woke the next morning in Port Augusta to more drizzly rain and grey skies. Port Augusta was a big town and we gave ourselves sometime in the morning to have a walk round the town centre before heading down to Adelaide. The weather didn't improve on the drive down and although we passed some lovely scenery, rolling green hills and beautiful countryside most of it was greyed out by misty rain, we did pass another pink lake...but it wasn’t as impressive as the last.

Arrived in Adelaide in rush hour and managed to catch at every traffic light on the way to the campsite.

Tuesday 22nd March 2011 - Friday 8th April 2011

The Big 4 campsite was huge with excellent facilities, the only downside was the campervan area (yes they segregated the campervans from the caravans) tents had their own area too, but the campervan area was right next to the kids playground, so we had kids running around all the time.  Not a problem until the local school had a basketball tournament and two out of town teams turned up and practiced shooting hoops on the basketball court outside our van all I sound like a grumpy old git??? 

The rain continued to fall for our first week in Adelaide so it gave us the excuse to go visit some shopping malls and get my Ikea fix, only Melbourne to go and I have been in every Ikea in Australia.... now I sound sad, this weeks blog isn’t painting me in a good light.  As weather is only going to get colder so we have stocked up on some more warm clothes, we have matching plaid shirts..very Australian.  We have also caught up on some films at the cinema using our Cinebuzz membership card to get to see the cheep film of the week.

The sun came out over the weekend and we had blue skies again, so we planned a trip into the city on the bus.  On the way to the bus stop we got lost in the caravan park (I said it was a big campground), we ended up by the beach so took a walk along it as we had some time to kill before  getting the bus.  Opposite the bus stop was a large recreational park where a girl’s softball team were setting up, the other side of the park was a mass of a hundred or more parakeets pecking at the grass. A kid ran through the middle of them and they all took flight, it looked so impressive all flying together.

The bus took us straight into the city centre and we had a walk round the main shopping centre, which was alive with buskers, pianos and a fashion show.  We walked up the high street and then took a free tram ride to the Central Market, which was a hive of activity as fruit, and veg sellers auctioned off the last of their wares at a $1 and $2 a bag, all trying to out shout there neighbouring stall. We left the noisy market, walked over the road to a nice looking bar and had a couple of ciders and some lunch. We walked back to the shopping area and back up the high street finding an old fashion sweet shop down an alleyway.  I went in to investigate and came out with two packets of my favourite M&M’s, peanut butter flavour, only available in the USA....Yummm!!

The easiest way to get back to the campsite is to take a tram and bus as they are renewing a bridge and there wasn’t a direct bus route back.  The tram ride was fun and ended at a pretty little seaside town full of bars and restaurants all overlooking the water.

The next few days we made full use of the sun by catching up on our laundry and chilling outside the van in sun.  I have had a few health problems so we have had a couple of visits to the doctors that filled our days up too.  In the week we went back into the city to visit the Museum and we had a long walk along the river.  We had noticed a free bus, called the Soccer Express, that left from outside our campsite to the Australian Rules Footy game on Saturday, so while we were in town we stopped at a ticket counter and inquired about ticket availability. At $35 each the price was right so we bought a we have to find out the rules!!!  On the way back from the river walk we took a shortcut through the Uni Campus...and got lost, the sad thing was we were too old to blend in, we looked like two lost tourists.  We jumped back on the tram home another good day in the city.

The weather is really hotting up now, 28/29 degrees, we had a drive out to Brighton Seafront and had fish and chips on the seafront, don’t laugh but you have to drive through Hove to get to Brighton.

Saturday came round in a flash and we got all the same excited feeling we get when we go watch football at home only without the worry of what the result will be.  The free bus service is run by the lottery and over a hundred buses pick loyal fans up from all over Adelaide and drop them off at the game, it was an excellent service....the bus driver even stopped at a bus stop off route because the man and his kid where in footy shirts. 

We are here to watch port Adelaide Power (Go Power) verses West Coast Eagles, which coincidently Gary’s mate from Margaret River, Dean Cox, plays for.   It was a hot day and our seats were directly in the sun, good job we had slip, slop, slapped before leaving home.  The rules seemed fairly simple, two teams of twenty two players, a rugby shaped ball and four goal posts each end.  You can run with the ball but every 10metres you have to bounce it, you can only pass the ball by palming it with your hand or fist.  To score a goal you have kick the ball through the middle two posts for six points or the outer posts for one point, oh and the pitch is oval not rectangle.  We just enjoyed the game, the beers and the half time pies.

We have moved caravan site, but only down the road, I need some further tests at the local hospital and like most hospitals the parking terrible, they have a multi-story but we can’t fit in it.  The caravan site is within walking distance to the hospital and our favourite shopping mall so it’s a win, win situation. 

Our first morning was a bit of a shock when we got up and opened the van door the noise of the parrots in the trees above us was incredible, you couldn’t see them but there must have been thousands, check the video out.  That same morning a large family of ducks greeted us, which after Gary fed them bread, camped out on our site every morning after that waiting for breakfast.

We took a drive out to the German town of Hahndorf about 20km outside of Adelaide, the drive there would have been charming as it was through lovely country lanes and past picturesque scenery but the roads were in such bad condition that it was like driving on an unmade track.  We were forced to take the highway rather than the scenic route just stop the van from shaking.  It was worth the drive though as the town was adorable, a little piece of Germany right in the middle of the hills. We parked the van and had a walk about, it was a shame we’d had a large breakfast and didn’t feel hungry enough for all the lovely looking Bratwurst sausage.  We had a good nose about and a visit in all the shops, I did see a nice pair of Ugg boots but didn’t buy them.

The news on the health front is a bit more serious and the doctors had suggested that we return home to continue any treatment.  This has obviously come as a bit of a shock and we now have two weeks to make plans, sell the van and book flights home.  Blimey we are coming home!!!!

Slideshow Report as Spam

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures & Videos

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: