Trip Start Oct 17, 2007
49Trip End Feb 04, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
- Travel to Paris from Madrid on the overnight sleeper train and enjoy dinner onboard. Retire to your cabin to enjoy a comfortable night's sleep. Awaken just kilometers from Paris, but first indulge in your included breakfast in the dining cart.
- Upon arrival in Paris, gain orientation and begin using your French to realize that people really do understand you and are very helpful in the train station.
- Arrive on a misty, drizzly morning to your Parisian hotel room walking distance to the Champs Elysees and the Arc de Triomphe and from which you can glimpse the bottom of the Eiffel Tower, as it is completely covered in fog!
- Gaze upon the cheeky Mona Lisa (did she wink?), the sensuous Venus de Milo and wander through the opulent and majestic Napoleon III's apartments. Consider some of Napoleon's decorating tips should you ever become a gazillionaire.
- Walk to cathedral Notre Dame along the river Seine under a clearing, pink twilight sky mottled with grey and yellow clouds.
- Head to the top of La Tour Eiffel, now under perfectly clear skies to glimpse the end of the sunset and the lights of the city as night arrives. Purchase glow-in-the-dark Eiffel Tower condoms as souvenirs for your friends back home.
- Stroll back towards your boutique-like hotel and stop in a little restaurant with individual table lamps for a late dinner and a glass of wine. Brag to your partner about your ability to communicate with the waiters in French!
- Jump on the Metro to see the Moulin Rouge from the outside. Gaze upon its well-known windmill lights and choke when you discover the price of admission.
- Back to the hotel after a long, perfect day.
- It's early morning, 6 a.m.!! The sun is yet to rise, but the streets begin to bustle
- Take a brisk walk to the Champs Elysees for sunrise and breakfast
- Allow speechlessness to take over. The Champs Elysees at sunrise near the Arc de Triomphe is one of the most beautiful sights a traveler can experience, and you are there
- Take pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures!! Did I say take pictures?! Impossible to let it all soak in, it's just too beautiful!
- Discover the revelation that is the Parisian café overlooking the Champs Elysees as you feast on the most wonderful breakfast of café au lait, fresh croissants, and warm baguettes with butter and preserves. Confirm croissants and baguettes really are THE BEST in Paris.
- Brag to your husband again about your wonderful French skills.
- Back to the hotel to pack but ensure to buy some freshly-baked pain au chocolat for the train ride to Calais.
- Realize how lucky you are to have spent the most perfect 24 hours in Paris and begin to plot your return as you wave a sad goodbye to this inherently romantic city and your penultimate stop on your round-the-world journey.
Everything above is a 10 and a must in Paris!