A different way to spend Easter Sunday

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  ,
Sunday, April 8, 2012

As soon as we arrived in the bus terminal a tour guide approached us about a tour that day to Lake Titicaca, we hadnīt booked any accomodation, so after much deliberation we booked it. We left our bags in his office, freshen up and grabbed some breakfast in the cafe. We didnīt realise the time and so the man had to come and find us and tell us to go and board the minibus immediately as it had gone 7am. The tour that we were doing was of Lake Titicaca the highest altitude lake in the world, at 3,600m. Because of the height, Lauren flet sick and headachey again. We went to the Los Uroīs which are the floating islands that the locals have built on the lake made from only reeds. The clothes that we women in particular were wearing were so colourful, I loved it. As we arrived we had a little lesson on how the islands were build and then one of the women called Rita (I thnk?!) took us to her house and we had the opportunity to look inside. It had a really cosy feel to it. She then showed us some cloths that she had made, that took her over a month to make just one. They were beautiful but I donīt think anything else will fit in my bag. We felt slightly pressed to go buy something, but we managed to get out of it. The group gathered together and the ladies did a role play of the buying and selling that they do in Puno of their goods. There was even a little girl who joined in and was all dressed in the colouful, purple, pink and orange clothes. We then went on a short boat ride on their boat made of reeds. The local men did all the rowing! As we left the women and little button sang to us. It was lovely. We boarded our boat again, taking a two hour ride to the natural island of Taquile. As the journey was so long I sat on the top deck and I managed to catch the sun on my face! I felt like doing the Chandler from friends glory dance as I haven't seen the sun in a long time. We arrived at the Islam and had to take a small hike up to the top where the main town was. We briefly looked around the main square before te entire group going for lunch at the same place. I must admit we didn't realised it was organised for us we thought we would sort our own food. We got to this restaurant and sat in the garden terrace which was pleasant. We sat with the other two English couples from the Isle of Dogs. Our choice of lunch was trout or omlette so I went for trout as they say it is extremely good from the lake. After lunch we learned more about the lake how 60% of it belongs to Peru an 40% to Bolivia as well as information on the local dress code. Around 3pm we headed down the 500 steps down to the port on the otherwise of the island. By this time my face began to feel like it was on fire from earlier. Tomato face again. To be honest the second island, the natural island was a let down, as we didn't really do anything there, just have lunch. The sun went in and so it was a long and cold return journey back to Puno. We got a taxi back to the terminal and changed into warmer clothes and booked our bus for later that evening, leaving our bags there. We got a tuk tuk to the main square and had to wait a while for a table as the restaurant was really busy and we couldn't find anywhere else. The bus was nice but bloody hot again. I had to get up and try and ask the driver in his little blacked out cabin to turn it off. I couldn't understand what he was saying and by this point a guy had woken and translated for me! We got a taxi to a hostel we had seen online and checked in. We were getting ready for bed when Lauren discovers she doesn't have her backpack. She cheked downstairs in reception - no luck. Which means she left it in the taxi. She is so forgetful at times!
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: