One night stopover
Trip Start Aug 16, 2010
66Trip End Jan 02, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
- Taxi from airport to Tulip Hotel in Cape Town
· The Taxi driver was eager to point out that the government is replacing shanty towns with newly built accommodation (there are shanty towns right next to freeway from the airport into the city)
· The Tulip Hotel lobby is far better than the rooms (not feeling too safe here)
· After checking in we walked around the city and bought some food (lunch)& wine
· We then organized a hire car – a manual Hyundai Altos – for tomorrow
· We returned to the hotel to have Blackie fall asleep on the bed – no dinner for me
Fri Aug 20
· Checkout was not until 11.00, so we went for another walk around the city. We had breakfast at an environmentally friendly, organic restaurant called Birds, which used locally grown produce. Why is the seating in these places always so uncomfortable? Luckily the food was superb.
· We had a chance to walk through The Parade & see the Castle of Good Hope. While there we witnessed the presenting of the keys & firing of the canon before we had to head back to the hotel for checkout (11am) & to pick up our car.
· The car is TINY (a Hyundai Altos – do they even have those in Australia?) Blackie's knees are up around his ears when he drives. Quite the sight!