To Limmen

Trip Start Mar 29, 2006
Trip End Feb 28, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Netherlands  ,
Monday, July 24, 2006

MONDAY, 24th July
Another wonderful breakfast although they did not have my favourite fruit bread.
We made phone calls to S in Sydney to check out the state of our house and to G, our son, who had moved out and had found accommodation in a flat in Sylvania Waters. According to S he had done the right thing and the house was looking good...all ready for our Dutch family.
We checked out of the Mozart Hotel, did not have to pay even the local rate for our calls and caught the tram at the end of the street. We did not pay for that either. We did, however, buy train tickets although I know not why. There are not any ticket collectors be they machines or people. In other words, unlike in Sydney or London there were no barriers. One walks directly on to the platform or in our case struggles up stairs with cases on to the platform. We were told that ticket inspectors boarded trains at random but in our two trips so far they were not to be seen. [ On at least two future train trips into the city ticket inspectors did materialise. They could issue you with a ticket if you had none but I don't know about fines. It must be all done on trust. Imagine the savings on labour, machines and infrastructure by absorbing the loss of fares of a few free loaders.]
The train pulled into Castricum on the platform in the middle of the tracks so we had to drag our cases down one set of steps and up another whereupon we rang A and J, A's parents, who came tootling along in the Corolla to pick us up. Both of them came so we had a suitcase on our laps in the back of the car. They dropped us off at number 86 and left immediately on foot. [ A returned a little later on her bike!! She had left her purse in the car. She is our age but rode that bike like a teenager.]
We were left with the car and an empty but accommodating house. The frig and freezer were full and we were surrounded by all mod cons including a computer with connection to the net which I think we somewhat overused in the weeks ahead. There was a bookcase full of English books and many DVD's and CD's to keep us amused not to mention a TV with BBC 1& 2 plus CNN...all in English. You beaut!
We dragged our cases up stairs, spiral stairs, for the last time for a while and emptied the contents into their wardrobe. A first for me for a long time. Since Richmond in fact. I would rather live out of my suitcase for stays of less than three weeks. For the rest of the day we read, dozed, poked our noses into cupboards, had a fine salad for dinner courtesy our hosts and watched some TV. Anne even started on her knitted teddies...purple would you believe.
They must have worked like Trojans [This is hearsay. I have never actually seen a Trojan at work.] from the time we left the day before until they left that morning to get the house ready for us although A did drop a hint that they had had professional cleaners in a few days previously.
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: