Day 4 - Kyoto

Trip Start Nov 03, 2005
Trip End Dec 07, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Japan  ,
Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Today I was sick. I will never drink shochu again. Mike was okay, but I threw up twice and couldn't eat or drink anything. Hence we couldn't leave at 7am for Kyoto as we had planned. We ended up leaving at 9:15. On the train to Osaka station I just wanted to pass out.

We exchanged our rail passes which was a 5min painless exercise (Mike's dad couldn't stress enough about the supposed 1 hour wait). I however was still in pain from the shochu. Dave and Mike will have to tell you about the train trip from Osaka to Kyoto - I was sleeping/passed out. Less than 20min later we arrived at Kyoto.

It seems everyday we spend so much time at vending machines. A drink called Aquarius was my hangover cure. Mike had Rainbow Mountain Blend Boss coffee.

Dave found some ointment for his foot problem (I suspect it will be an ongoing ailment for this trip). We were too stingy to pay for buses so we walked to Senjuusengenjo - a Buddhist temple with 1000 warrior statues.

Outside we got a photo with some local high school girls. Mike even joked he wanted a photo with each school to see all the uniforms.

We then took a detour through some sidestreets and found a cemetery in the middle of a forest, just off the main motorway. That was impressive. I don't think too many people would have known about it, since it wasn't on any of our maps, we found it while getting lost, and it didn't have any sign of life - obviously. Walking down the highway from the cemetery we passed a grand mausoleum, and headed towards Kiyomizu Temple.

On the way we stopped at a curry and coffee restaurant. The décor was Swiss, the music was French, the spices were Indian and the chef was Japanese. Still, it was very homely and comfortable. We ordered chicken curry and another that had a sauce that had been simmering for 1 month continuously. According to the young girl who was serving us, we ordered SPICY LEVEL: 0. Their hottest curry was level 20. I really enjoyed the curry. We got a lot of language practice there so I was kicking myself that I didn't bring along a present from Australia to give to them.

After the curry we went to the temple. Mike and I didn't want to waste money on an entrance fee so Dave went in alone. 40 minutes later we regrouped and found that our photos were virtually identical anyway. Mind you, Mike and I were up ¥400.

We then spent all our money at the souvenir stalls. We looked at a crap lantern museum with hardly any lanterns. We ended up getting lost a few times and walked way too much. Soon we realised we'd managed to cross the entire CBD. On the plus side, we found a Tintin shop.

Oh yeah, I realised today that I don't know my PIN for my debit card. I always just knew the pattern on the keypad. On Japanese ATMs they have the numbers all spread out, so that screwed me up for a while.

There's a guy that we keep seeing on a TV commercial advertising DVDs. His name is Razor Ramon HG. He's dressed as a village person, thrusts his hips and goes "WOOOO" (or 'FUUU' in katakana). He is so famous that he keeps popping up on all the morning talk shows.

Back in Osaka we had some pancake thing called nirachijimi that was really nice (¥300).
Slideshow Report as Spam


owenr on

Actually, you can get into that temple for free if you know where the side entrance is! You walk through a valley and up from below, instead of starting at the ticket gate.

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: