From cold to hot

Trip Start Jun 29, 2010
Trip End Apr 07, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Best Stay Hotel

Flag of Malaysia  , Perak,
Friday, February 3, 2012

As we took off from Tokyo we turned sharp right and for a few minutes had an extraordinary view out across Tokyo city. The night was so clear that the vastness of the city and surrounding areas was set out right before us.  The city centre was highlighted as a square of the red flashing lights on top of the tallest buildings, it was amazing. 

Unfortunately this nice experience was ruined by a boy who was screaming at the top of his lungs.  His mother and father were useless in dealing with him and his mother thought that smacking him as hard as she could would sort the problem out, it didn't. 

Instead the boy worked himself up so much that he continued to kick off for the next hour.  His screams were so shrill and disturbing that in the process he woke everyone up – but we did have a smile with the old Japanese man who unfortunately was sat next to the little blighter.  Luckily we had paid for TV’s and both eventually managed to wind down after watching some films for a couple of hours.  We also both managed to sleep, a little, managing to force in a couple of hours.  Before we knew it we were landing in the darkness of Kuala Lumpur around 6am local time.  When we walked off the plane to 26 degrees we both thanked heaven for some warm weather and were really looking forward to getting to the beach. 

We had to wait quite a while for our bags but managed to get some cash out in the meantime and order a taxi to take us to the central bus station.  It took around an hour to get over to the station as KL airport is more than 50km outside Kuala Lumpur. 

When we arrived at the bus station we found a fairly modern terminal with large flat screens and all the bus details shown on them.  We had some time to spare and grabbed a seat as we were already pooped from the journey.  We finished off our Japanese sandwiches before Chris did a Superman change … leaving in trousers and returning in shorts … yay we’re back in the sunshine!  

The bus was only slightly late but this did give us a good opportunity to have a giggle at an Italian lady and her mother bumbling along with more bags than they could handle and each wearing a massive flowery hat, it was hilarious. 

We threw our bags underneath the bus and grabbed our seats ready for what we thought would be a 3 hour journey.  The bus was air conditioned, comfortable and we soon fell asleep.

Unfortunately the expected 3 hour journey ended up being a massive 5 hours which was mostly due to bank holiday traffic. 

We arrived into Lamut we then had to transfer onto a boat (luckily the jetty was right next to the bus station) which took 40 minutes to get us over to Pangkor Island.  We were just in time for the 2.30pm crossing and had to run to make sure that we caught it, saving us an hour’s wait.  When we arrived on the island we asked for a cab but the local drivers told us we only had a short few minute walk over to the Best Stay Hotel, which turned out to be very easy for us to find.  When we arrived the hotel looked really nice and when we checked into our room we found it to be of a decent size with bathroom, flat screen TV, shower and air con, we were in heaven.

We unpacked some things and made sure that the internet worked before heading out to take a look around the local area.  There was one main street with lots of local shops and restaurants.  As usual we wanted to eat dinner much earlier than most people and the only place that was open at that time of day was the Island One cafe.  This also turned out to be a great option as it was local bakery/cafe with lovely staff.  We studied the menu and were surprised to find the amount of cooking styles available to add to chicken, prawn or fish.  The styles that really appealed to us were Nyonya, Sambal, Sweet 'n’ Sour, Curry, Marmite and Thai.  Thank goodness we’ve got a good few nights to try them out. 

After grabbing some snacks and Annabelle finding her favourite strawberry ice lolly which she first had in Bali, we headed back to our room to chill out and get ready for the next day.  Chris was still unstoppable on the eating front but claimed that after two days of gorging (he even ate dessert with dinner) he thought that he was almost full, finally...  We prepared for our first full day of sunbathing and we could not wait.  Suddenly our thoughts were interrupted by a very loud call to prayer.  It turned out that we had a large mosque directly behind the hotel, right next to our room.  We only hoped that the call did not start too early in the morning!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: