Trip Start Sep 06, 2011
23Trip End Aug 31, 2012
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
We sadly left behind wonderful Hong Kong on Thursday morning, and are in a small town called Luang Nam Tha in Laos, which is pronounced "Laow". Laos is the country with the smallest population in South East Asia. There are only 6 million people here! It's very peaceful.
We had a crazy journey to get here, want to hear about it? OK, here goes!
- a 2 hour train ride from Hong Kong to Guanzhou, then a 5 hour wait for our next train.
- a 13 hour train ride from Guangzhou to Nanning in China.
- a 16 hour bus journey from Kunming to Mohan in China, which is on the border with Laos.
- a 1 hour walk across the border.
- a 2 hour ride in the back of a covered truck from Boten in Laos to Luang Nam Tha!
We are tired!! But it was a great journey and we saw a lot along the way. On the long train and bus rides we bought sleeper tickets, which means you have a very narrow bed you can sleep on. So at least we weren't awake the whole time!
Tomorrow we are going to rent bicycles and explore the countryside, so I'll have lots more pictures to show you of how people live here. On the way here we saw that most people live in wooden huts, which is a lot different to what we're used to! I'm excited to explore.
I hope you're all learning a lot and enjoying the blog! Talk to you soon,