The Best Of...
Trip Start Jul 10, 2007
46Trip End Mar 11, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
As we have left South East Asia, we thought we could compile a list of the top 20 (best and oddest experiences) during our last 3.5 months in the area.
1. Best stair climbing exercise oh and, also ranks as best ancient structure seen from outer space: Great Wall of China.
2. Strangest breakfast for most unknown or unidentifiable food: Beijing
3. Best place to buy a Mao Tse Tung waving hand watch that would tick for 20 minutes: Tienanmen Square, Beijing
4. Best spicy food; Thailand (prawns the size of buses, green curry that burns twice, lemon grass and GINGER)
5. Cheapest place for a massage; Thailand...$2.00 per hour for a foot massage. Full body massages are $2.50.
6. Best place to see a movie; Siam Center, Bangkok. Reclining seats (better than a First class seat on a plane), blanket, pillow, beer and popcorn. Went to see Bourne Ultimatum -only ones in the theater. The washrooms were also exquisite! After the movie, we all enjoyed a free foot and leg massage.
7. Best Mocha milkshake rated my the Master X - Mexican Restaurant -close to the Blue Pumpkin Restaurant - Siem Reap, Cambodia
8. Best beach: China Beach, Hoi An, Vietnam where people swim at 5:00am. There are also massive purple jelly fish. Light coloured sand and light blue WARM water.
9. Most efficient postal system: Vietnam - a little scary too as they inspect everything and can they ever package things well!
10. Cheapest meal: Mui Ne, Vietnam: for four people including drinks (beer for the adults)....$7.00!
11. Most interesting offering at temples: Laos. You can purchase small song birds in tiny wicker baskets. When you arrive at the temple, you release the little birds.
12. Best monk under umbrella sightings: Luang Prabang, Laos
13. Worst bus drivers: Malaysia...suicidal!
14. Best place to buy Malerone an anti-malarial drug over the counter (needs a prescription in Canada) and least expensive: Malaysia
15. Quirkiest moments: having conversations underwater with my sons AND understanding everything they said while snorkeling. The French Canadian side proudly survives under the sea! This totally upset my poor, poor Anglo husband!
16. Animal most likely to make it into a Stephen King movie: the waving crabs...later to be identified as Fiddler crabs. These strange little creatures sit on the mud and wave in unison, probably to hypnotize and lure you to their nests to feed you to their master. Tioman Island, Malaysia
17. Most attentive staff in the most exotic and relaxing resort with the best room in a water chalet directly above the sea: Avillion Resort, Port Dickson, Malaysia
18. Strangest nature accidents humans are not suppose to see: geckos falling off the ceiling - 3 times...on my foot, on a table and on a computer - Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia (Can't laugh at them, they get embarrassed)
19. Most expensive drink: Singapore sling at the Raffles Hotel in Singapore during a thunder storm, under a small roof like terrace; $20.00 and was well worth it.
20. Most generous people: Betty, Tom and Jeffrey, Singapore
21. Best smiles on my boys' faces: calling home on Thanks Giving day.
22. Hardest list to keep under 20 items; this one!