Doctor Who

Trip Start Feb 04, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Victoria,
Saturday, February 4, 2012

I left Hobart at 10am this morning with my brother, sister and parents. Our destination? Melbourne, Victoria. 
After disembarking we strode down to baggage claim, grabbed my 18kg pack and set off to pick up the rental car my dad will be driving for the next couple of days. The drive into town was pleasant enough, there was a lot of traffic by Tasmanian standards but due to the fact it was Saturday we didn't have to battle with the normal number of vehicles that plague the toll ways of inner Melbourne. With that in mind we reached the Melbourne Convention Centre with a couple of hours to spare and therefore located the nearest food court for some lunch. My sister and I shared a foot long vegetarian sub and I had my first ever bubble tea (a very strange drink). I am not really sure why it is so popular, I found the flavour overpowering and the globules of jelly odd. I will try it again some time, perhaps back home.
The reason my family had decided to come up and farewell me was that my departure coincided precisely with the Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular. We are all massive fans of the show (both the old and new series) so an opportunity to hear the music live performed by the MSO could not be missed. It began at 2pm and ran until 5pm in the evening. The conductor was the man in charge of the studio recordings with the BBC and the composer for the new series was in the audience. The entire program was broken apart by the appearance of various monsters/aliens from the show and pieces of footage displayed on a projected overhead. I'll stop myself from going any further descriptively because I can imagine the reading may be a little dry for people who aren't as enthusiastic about Doctor Who as I am but needless to say it was an incredibly good performance.

My brother was meeting up with a friend at Flinders Street station later in the evening and we decided it would be best if we walked him part of the way. We returned to the car and began the long drive south east to my nan's house. It was great seeing her again and my aunty who also joined us for a wonderful dinner of salad, baked potato and chicken casserole. The event finished with all of us sitting out on the porch watching the sunset while biting chunks out of seedless watermelon. Bliss. I did have my first doubt about the trip this evening which was completely related to the current weather in Europe. I'll be going from 33 degree sun to -12 which is going to be a bit of a shock to the system, I'll have to face it when the time comes.

It is now time for me to start thinking about going to sleep before I am faced with the horror that is the 30 hours of travel which awaits me tomorrow.

Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: