Happy One Year...Can't believe its been a year....
Trip Start Jul 07, 2004
147Trip End Dec 24, 2006
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
WOW...I can't believe this...When I woke up this morning, I suddenly realised that its my one year anniversary. Exactly a year ago today, I was sitting on my livingroom floor, while the cold winds blew outside, and wondered how on earth I would fit all the stuff I need for a year on the road, in one little backpack. Ok ok...the bag was not so little...but still...I was in awe of everything I thought was essential.
Today, if I had to do this again, I would not have taken 1/4 of all the stuff I had. Experience has taught me...clothes are cheaper in Asia...so don't bother with anything, and no, I really don't need all the stuff I brought.
Anyway, what I innitially thought was going to be just a year traveling around, has turned into an extended adventure of discovery. Yes, whatever you guys may think now, I honestly did think I was only going to be gone for a year. That's all that my bugdet was limiting me to. Its amazing how long one can make their money last in this part of the world.
Additionaly, I decided to see more than I originaly intended. When I meet people and hear their stories, its difficult to resist certain places. Sooo, here is the initial itiniary with modifications as I went along:
1. France...initially planned for 3 months...extended to 4 months
2. India...initially planned for 1 month...extended to 2 months
3. Nepal...initially planned for 2 weeks to trek...extended to 1.5 months
4. Tibet...initially not on the itiniary...added and stayed for 2.5 weeks
5. (was supposed to be country #4) China...initially 3 weeks, and then after Nepal and Tibet only 2 weeks (I didnt think I was going to make it alive there...or at least not without getting into some trouble)...extended to 2 months...
6. Vietnam...havent been there yet, althought it was supposed to be country 5 after China)
7. Cambodia...havent been there yet, althought it was supposed to be country 6 after Vietnam)
8. Laos...havent been there yet, althought it was supposed to be country 7 after Cambodia)
9. Thailand...well this was supposed to be country #8 after Laos, but its turned out to be country #6 after China. And I planned only a month here (initially). Needless to say, Ive been here for 3 months now...and...staying a few more indeed:)
There are loads more countries I want to visit...so, I honesltly have no clue when my flight will take me home (wherever that is...I guess I have to establish this first)...we will see...so please don't ask:) And no, I'm not currently thinking about a job for when I get back. Actually, I may switch professions. I kind of like teaching...so who knows.
This year has been such an amazing ride, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I've seen so much and met so many wonderful people. No, its not been all fun and bliss every single day. There has been days, when I've cried because of nothing, and there has been days where absolutely nothing goes right...but...there is always tomorrow to look forward to. Positive attitude and patience is so essential here...oh yeah...and a sense of humour. I mean, I would not have stayed so long in China if I lacked any of them. That place was just plain difficult...
Today, a year later, I am sitting in the teachers' room, typing away this entry, while the blazing sun shines outside the windows. Not worried about what to pack anymore...
I'm enjoying Bangkok...Life is good.