Hong Kong

Trip Start Apr 03, 2009
Trip End Apr 19, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Saturday, April 4, 2009

Today was not an early start, we got up late at around 9;30-ish. We had breakfast in our own room, and waited for the start of the footy. Of course we had to watch the football--it was all programmed into the schedule. It was difficut to watch as it was not on the TV, and so we had to listen on dad's laptop. We haf-listened, half did our own thing. Craig and I did some homework like the studious people we are, and everyone else read magazines or played on their electronic games.
Collingwood won, making all of us happy (but Craig, who is a Melbourne supporter, did no mind either way, like most Melbourne supporters right now)
We went out and boarded the train, ready to go to Lantau Island. We reached our destination at Tung Chung. The csble car starts here and then finishes on Lantau Island. The cable car view was amazng As there were 10 of us, we were able to fill a whole car. We were able to see helicopter fill up a bucket with water from a lake and dump it on a nearby fire. It wasn't doing a very good job, so we thought that it might have been a training drill, but we fund out later that it was a real fire.
Lantau Island is the home to the biggest outdoor Buddah in the world. The whole island is very spiritual, offering us a "Journey of Enlightenment" tour. We declined as the Fishers had done it before and we found that it was a two-and-a-half hour introduction and advertisement to Buddhism.
We walked up to the Buddha, which was atually a really long walk along a big flight of stairs. The Buddha was really big. It wasn't the sterotypical fat Buddha that you rub the tummy, but it was what you imagine in every other way. It did have the Nazi symbol in the middle of its chest, which I believe first meant 'peace'. We walked around the Buddha, taking many photos as we went, before we walked back down. We walked through the "Wisdom Garden". This garden was actualy really beautiful, but the smell of incense was quite overpowering.
We went into a prayer tower, that had people praying on prayer stools. Liam sat down on the prayer stools, mistaking them for little chairs. He wasn't the only one to make this mistake, as there was another family's kids wo were lyig down across three prayer stools before their parents rescued them.
The Buddhas were all beautifuly decorated, and the prayer halls were filled with gold and insence. It was a similar set-up to the Forbidden City.
We went back down on the cable car, waving at everyone else on the way down. Today there were cable cars with glass floors on trial, but they were a lot extra to hire, so we bypassed that option. we did think that it was unusual that they called it a 350degrees view, when all cable cars had a 360degree view.
We took the train back and picked up some pizza for dinner. The pizza was the hottest that I've ever eaten, with whole pieces of chilli randomly in there.
We waited for the famous Hong Kong light show. We could see it from our room. This is when the lights of all the waterfront skyscrapers and buildings displayed dfferent lgts to the beat of music. Some buildings had lazers, others had their whole sides lighting up different colours. It went for 13 minutes, and I loved every second. It must have taken a long time to coordinate the music with the lights.
We had decded not to go to the night market, because we were tired, so we all went to bed.
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: