Great Day!

Trip Start Jul 04, 2011
Trip End Jul 27, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Namibia  ,
Sunday, July 10, 2011

We got up at 3:00 am for our flight to Namibia. We were picked up at the hotel and driven to the airport. We were the only ones in the line at Air Namibia, in fact we may have been four of twenty in the whole airport. The airplane was a 737, but there were only about fifteen passengers. The flight was smooth and uneventful.

We were picked up by the car rental company and taken to our truck in Windhoek. It turned out that we had to pay an extra $600+ for the vehicle because the quote hadn't included full accident insurance and tire and windshield insurance. Oh, well, there are four of us to absorb the cost.

Donna drove today, which was great for me. We bought a few groceries and then headed out to Auas Lodge. It was about an hour's drive, half of it on a tar road and half on a gravel road.

The lodge was gorgeous! It was clean and quiet, set in the wilderness. The staff were very friendly. We got there just in time for lunch, which was a set menu. We had Oryx steak, broccoli, mushrooms, and small potatoes (Karen didn't have the steak so they gave her corn instead). It was really delicious.

In the afternoon we went for our first game drive. There were about twenty teenagers and a few adults going as well, which was a bit horrifying for four teachers on holiday! It turned out well because they filled a van, so the four of us got a jeep to ourselves. The driver was great. We saw some ostriches, warthogs, an anteater, waterbucks, lots of wildebeest (a few huge groups), springboks, then just when we had begun to freeze and it started to rain, we saw some giraffe. Once we found them, it could have stormed and I wouldn't have cared. I was so cold it was hard to use my camera, but I wanted to stay there! One giraffe was a baby, it was so adorable. Then along came the van of kids, which stayed a few minutes then drove by the giraffe and scared them off. Then we headed back to the lodge to huddle around the fireplace.

Supper that night was also delicious, but we were all still quite full from lunch. I felt bad leaving it, but what can you do once you are full... We had chicken soup with piles of chicken in it, fish, veggies and mashed potatoes, and could have had cappuccino mousse for dessert but none of us had room for it.

We had barely slept the night before, if at all, and with all the fresh, cold air, we were ready to sleep early. It was a great day!
Slideshow Report as Spam


Nancy on

WOW! This all sounds incredible! The lodge looks wonderful and the food amazing! I've had to "google" some of the meat you're eating!

Brian on

OK...I am officially jealous! Watching and viewing all of those animals must have been incredible. Oryx steak huh.... tasted like chicken no doubt..LOL!! Keep having fun, Wendy!!

Jeff on

Not everything tastes like chicken, Brian.
Have you seen any Zebras?

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: