Le plus clair du weekend
Trip Start Jan 17, 2010
42Trip End May 18, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
rue de Lourmel
10. I became an aunt for the 3rd time!
9. Surviving my first week of all French classes. It is fun to be able to take all French classes and actually sit there and understand the professor. But let me tell you, that after 3 classes in a row (4 hours) the last thing you want to do is continue speaking French! hahaha I was forewarned about the headaches you get from only hearing another language and now I know what everyone was talking about!
8. My friend Jamie and I found the most amazing panini place near the Seine in the 1st/4th arrondissements. I have never enjoyed a sandwich so much in my life, I did not want it to end
7. This past Friday was, by far, the sunniest day in Paris to date! Some friends and I walked along the Seine for a few hours, soaking in every ray possible. It was wonderful. Plus, we found the bridge that Carrie and Big reunite on in the Sex and the City season finale (for those who are Sex and the City fans, you might recall that episode).
6. IES had a wine degustation at the center on Friday afternoon. A culinary adviser came in and talked about how wine is grown, which regions produce which types of wines and how looking at the bottle shape can also hint at where the wine is from. It was very interesting and I was definitely "un peu pompette" after tasting the various types of wines.
5. Saturday for dejeuner (lunch), IES paid for all their students to eat a full 3 course dinner. It was absolutely wonderful to have a traditional French style meal paid for! haha With our budgets, we normally don't choose to eat at restaurants with the full course.
3. Today I visited Versailles and it was absolutely amazing. To be honest, at first I was a little disappointed. I thought it was bigger, but then you get to the back side of the main chateau and you realize how huge the estate of Versailles truly is! At the same time though, I was a little disgusted at how this massive complex was built for such a tiny family. No wonder there was a revolution!
1. Friday night, some friends of mine and I went out to the Pigalle area of France. Better known as the "red light district" kinda like the one in Amsterdam. Though I would never want to go there at night by myself, I went in a group of two guys and 6 other girls, therefore we were safe. What made this my number one moment of the weekend, is that we found a karaoke pub and everyone sang karaoke! My first time! hahaha It was so much fun. Two of my MN friends and I sang as a trio to Backstreet Boys "I want it that way." Two other IES students did a duet from Grease. One of the best nights out, to date!
-European fans are COMPLETELY different than American. There is a higher level of respect and admiration for one's team. Another reason why there are riot cops outside the stadium after matches.
-A bad day to visit tourist sites is on Sunday. However, when its free admission, you should probably go anyway.
-food hangover- this is obviously not a French word but rather a new term, my friends and I have created to describe how we feel after eating to many crepes with nutella or cheese sandwiches haha