Adventures in Egypt
Trip Start Unknown
12Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
I've learned a few things since stepping off of the plane:
1) Our information about having to dress extremely conservative, etc. while over here was completely wrong. Cairo has a wide array of the way people dress and it all seems to be accepted. Sorry to all of you who I complained about the clothes with.
2) When a male is legitimately trying to get your attention and calls to you like you're a dog making kissing noises and patting his leg, you shouldn't be offened. I wasn't offended probably because I do have a dog and I do the same thing to get his attention. Welcome to the world of a woman in Egypt. :)
3) Whether it is true or not, Egyptians think they invented EVERYTHING! From the first folding bed to red pens to grade papers - they invented it all. Don't even bring up the Chinese inventions because Egyptians did it first.
4) Because so many Egyptians are illiterate they have a very simple, logical way of handling their money. Their currency is called Egyptian pounds for those interested and it's about 6 pounds to the dollar right now. They have phased out coins as well. When dealing with money the larger the size of the bill the more it is worth. For example, you could have a 50 lb and a 50 peasters but the lb is a larger rectangle than the peaster. It was good to learn that prior to coming so I wouldn't be giving away money as the two are quite different.
We are considered filthy rich over here. The average Egyptian makes about $100 a month and attempt to supplement their income in any way possible. There is a common theme of baksheesh, which is tipping for pretty much anything, i.e. directions, etc. You give about $0.25 each time and it's expected as they'll hold their hands out and wait for it.
5) I also wanted to share some exciting news with all of you! I received a marriage proposal while in Egypt! He even offered me a dowry of 100 camel. I guess that is all I'm worth. :( Anyway, it was funny and maybe I'll receive another proposal who'll offer me more than 100 camel.
Check back later for more updates!