Day of Reflection
Trip Start Jul 11, 2009
14Trip End Jul 18, 2009
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
2. My body hurts, Bruises and bumps
- Nasty black and blue bruise/scratch on right bicep- Ninja chalkboard
- Bruise on left shin - surfboard
- Bruise and small puncture wound on left sole of foot - Walking on rocks and puncture?? no clue
- Red marks on both shins courtesy of those mean jellyfish, they were the size of honda civic.
- Scratches on toes and knees - surfboard wax
- Shoulders are sore, but not bad, which is a good sign
2a. Brendan, well he got the gout...seriously, who gets gout nowadays? Its like he went went on a bender in a Charles Dickens novel? Is scurvy or ricketts going to make a come back? Well, I truly hope that B gets better.
3. Books Read - NONE
4. Broken Mac and Bar Tab - $$$ Lack of self control
5. I made great new friends, Mike "the wave ripper/Rookie"Murphey, Canadian Dave-expert surfer/world traveler, The Blandy's-too much to say, The Canadian Hotties- Jamie-awesome surfer and a scar to prove it, aka Wave Thug, Sara- Super surfer Party girl, Hayley-Surfing Enthusiast, super smart academic, working on her MA in History, so she gets my respect and props!, Shelley-quit job and moved to CR to surf, hero!, Liz-super cool and funny Intern and surfer, the Jersey Boyz, and Carey and Kiany - Rave/Glow stick girls, who also liked/appreciated my super cool funny shirts, so major props and love to them!
5a. Some Classic Barney Blandyisms -
Forgot his boardshorts and rash guard, had to buy them that 1st morning and complained about it, went for a walk on beach, and sand was too hot, wanted to buy a beach blanket, but too many sand fleas?? No one else ever experienced any sand fleas at all!. Very jealous of wife's success at surfing, wanted us to make fun of her? During video analysis, i mentioned to him what I saw he was doing wrong, which was what I was doing last year, trying to be nice...he ignored me then came over to me afterwards and when I told him, that if I start doing bad I come in and practice pop ups on the beach to get back into rythm..lol he looked at me with a straight face - "what? never...its too hot, I will just lay on my board and let the waves come to me..." LOL its too hot to get on the beach? He is all taped up from head to toe, cuz he had blisters after the first session? Too many stars in the night sky and went to bed like at 8pm every night...Classic Barney!
6. The Curse continues....ugh Rafa hates me...lol I put the DVD in and There is the music he burned for me, very cool, and pictures, which there are none of me and NO Videos!! Unbelievable, there is some sort of conspiracy.
7. So happy to hang out with old friends, it was great to hang out with Brendan, he is like a brother to me, so cool that we got to shred waves and party. We are very good at that. Those young kids have no clue how to do it right. Great to see my boy Rafa, he is so hilarious and good guy, though refuses to acknowledge my surfing in any sort of video or photography medium. Shawna, great to finally meet here after talking to here for 2 years. Got to see Joe, Holly and the Kids, Freedom, Marcela, Chino and the crew, Johnny Tu-Tone, and Sweet Maria.
8. Over all it was an amazing trip, the pain and bruises will eventually go away, but my memories won't, getting up on a wave and feeling that speed, the stoke, then getting thrashed in the wash, good times.
I hope you all enjoyed the blog, sorry about the lack of pictures, but as soon as I can get access to a pc where I can download and Brendan can send me more of mine, I will post them here and on Facebook. Hopefully, I will be in Costa Rica longer in the coming year, doing something different and surfing. Only time will tell.
- Possible Next trip - Mount Kilimanjaro??? Who knows.
Quotes of the Day-
- "Don't tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have traveled." — Mohammed
- "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." — Martin Buber
- "If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern."- William Blake