Full Moon Party

Trip Start Jun 25, 2001
Trip End Apr 09, 2002

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Thursday, November 1, 2001

Bangkok Airways is a great little airline. We flew the newest jetliner on the market - the Boeing 717 - from Phnom Penh to Bangkok. We then flew the airlines' other Boeing 717 from Bangkok to Koh Samui. Keeping up my tradition of keeping up high-level engagements with important celebrities, the Princess of Thailand was on our flight. She got quite a send-off from a bunch of sycophantic officials at the airport, but other than that it really wasn't a big deal. She actually looked, and was dressed, in an incredibly normal manner. After arriving at what is quite possibly the world's cutest airport of Koh Samui, it was to the full-moon rave on the nearby island of Ko Pha-Ngan we headed. Of course, being my third rave, it wasn't much of a big deal for me. Still, Nirosha was suitably amazed at the spectacle. Nonetheless, we were both a tad restful after our previous days of high intensity travelling, so by the time 3AM rolled around we could both be seen taking a two-hour cat-nap on the beach. I was glad that we did, though, because that meant that we both had enough energy to carry us through until sunrise. Though, to be honest, seeing the place under the cover of sunlight took a bit of the lustre off it as the jaded casualties of all sorts of things made themselves more apparent. Otherwise, it was all pretty much the same as I have previously described it. The Thai police-force did seem to be making a more concerted effort to have a presence on the island this time, though. Interestingly enough, however, all the officers seemed to miraculously disappear from the beach at around midnite.

After that, the sheer scope of our travels finally began to catch up with us biologically and we did little else in and around Samui other than sleep, eat and make pathetic attempts at shopping for counterfeit wares (Nirosha bought these funny but apparently very popular sport shoes with "ALB" printed in large letters on the side). Actually, Nirosha ended up feeling a tad off colour and, not wanting to make the 40-hour trip back overland in such a condition, arranged to fly back to Phnom Penh. I, the one always eager to save money wherever possible, took the only option available to me and slugged it back on my own. To be honest, the trip back overland was completely horrible. I barely ate and slept (excluding ten-minute cat naps at 2:30AM inside Bangkok's Northern Bus Station) the entire way back and was constantly either on the road or waiting for something that would get me there. Encouragingly, it seems like the Asian Development Bank has taken the wise decision to give the Cambodian government some money to upgrade the quality of the BMX track that runs between the country's two largest cities of Phnom Penh and Battambong. On some stretches of the road, significant progress has been made since I last travelled along the route a few months ago and vehicles with the requisite horsepower can even maintain speeds up of 100kh/h for ecstaticly long periods of up to about two minutes. Nonetheless, it still takes one in excess of seven hours to travel about 250km, rendering the journey from the Thai border to Phnom Penh a gruelling 12-hour hell-ride. The scenery is beatiful, though . . .
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: