Change of Plans
Trip Start Oct 30, 2012
147Trip End May 30, 2013
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Shortly after lunch Brian started in with another bout of chills. To go to a place without ATM's or post office, there's a good chance they won't have a great variety of medical facilities either. Unbelievably, Laos ranks even lower than Cambodia for healthcare...So we decided to get a 2nd opinion in a more established clinic (as opposed to a cigarette depot) to get him well.
The giant board when we entered outlined all sorts of medical procedures in Khmer and their prices in numerals I could understand (upwards of $150 US). I started to try and recall our travel insurance policy... Met with a Dr. who had no English. He looked at us with the help of our guest house staff. This Dr. approved the antibiotics (relief) and didn't say anything about worms. He seemed to think it just needed more time to run it's course. Maybe in a few days, if not better, they could take another blood test.
So there's no way Brian's going on an 8 hr bus ride in this condition. Time to try and undo everything I spent the morning doing. As much as I'm going stir crazy with not much to do, it's so much worse for Brian - he's cooped up AND feeling terrible!
If this doesn't get better soon we're going to have to think of something more drastic. Health care in this remote province is not good at all. We may have to head to Phnom Penh (even though it's in the wrong direction and we purposely avoided it the first time through). Bangkok is the place most advised for serious illness (travelling there will really screw everything up). We've also only got a few days left on our Visa's...
This is the not-so-fun part of long term travel!