Back to Minot & then to Fargo

Trip Start May 06, 2012
1
20
42
Trip End Jun 26, 2012


Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
shadow
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , North Dakota
Saturday, May 26, 2012

Though I had not had a rest day for 8 days, the prospect of Harvey was not filling me with the desire to take one, especially having woken with reasonable energy. 
 
Unfortunately, the weather forecast had proved accurate and not only was it tipping it down outside but it was also blowing a gale in exactly the wrong direction for my purposes. The forecast heaped more misery on me, by suggesting this inclement weather would last all Saturday and all Sunday, which meant I was likely to be holed up in Harvey for a couple of days, which was doubly less enticing than spending one rest day there!

This really riled me. I was only 190m away from Fargo which is where I planned to fly back to London from.  Stupidly, I had already booked my flights. I had convinced Kaye I was arriving on Friday but had actually booked my flights for Wednesday afternoon so would arrive on Thursday morning and hence suprise her. However, I hadn't counted on such amazing wind which had left me nearly 4 days ahead of my plans.

I looked into changing my flight but this was not straight forward. United who I had booked with had a big charge for simply changing the flight and their flight prices had gone up 50%. This meant changing the flight wasn't really an option. However, I then realised that I could cancel my flight and re-book with an alternative carrier - who were currently cheaper than my original flight. However, even this wasn't an easy option given that the cancellation would result in a credit note valid for 1yr to the value of the flight to use in my name on United rather than cash! 

However, I was filled with new hope and thought about how I could get to Fargo for Monday evening.  I thought I could brave the nightmare weather for 50m to Carrington, then spend Sunday getting 50m to Jamestown before completing the 90m to Fargo when the weather turned more supportive. I could then catch the 5pm plane on Monday arriving on Tuesday, 2 days ahead of my plans and 3 ahead of what Kaye suspected. This was not to be.

Just before setting off I had a conversation with Kaye, as thought she might think it strange if I didn't get in touch on a supposed rest day. She proceeded to tell me that she was popping up to Nottingham on Tuesday to see her great friend who has moved to Australia but who is back for a couple of weeks. This put a right spanner in my plans, because if I flew on Monday evening I would arrive at midday on Tuesday and probably arrive after Kaye had left for Nottingham, which meant I wouldn't see Kaye till Wednesday - and I didn't think the price of changing the flight merited just the additional 24hrs.
 
But that is when I realised that if I could get myself to Fargo on Sunday (tomorrow) I could take a flight at 5pm and arrive on Monday, see Kaye for 24hrs before she headed to Nottingham, and then see her for the rest of the week. This was very very very enticing as it meant I would be home for 3 days more and wouldn't be spending 2 days in Harvey and another day or 2 in Fargo waiting around. However, cycling to Fargo wasn't really possible because it would have taken me at least 25-30hrs to go the 190m into the teeth of the wind. 

Some frenzied research led me to see that I had 3 options. 

Firstly, I could cycle 100m to Jamestown and catch a bus to Fargo. Unfortunately this was still into the teeth of the wind and not helped by the fact that the daily bus left at 4pm which meant I would have to catch the Saturday bus to be in Fargo for a plane at 5pm Sunday. Unfortunately it was past 10am so wasn't going to manage that in the time available!  Clearly, if I had cycled the extra 50m to Carrington the day before this would have been option no1 but I hadn't so it wasn't!  

The second option was a taxi, but that was priced out of consideration given a quote of c$400.
 
The 3rd option was to hire a car, but the closest car hire was 75m back in Minot, where I had cycled from yesterday. This option was affordable but it meant going backwards! However,  the 75m back to Minot would cut the distance I was cheating on from 190m to 125m which would set my guilt back a little! and the ride to Minot would also be with the wind! The prospect of being home for a few days rather than sitting around in a brown motel room was too much so I jumped on my bike and with the wind blowing at my back, was back in Minot in just over 3hrs. I was also helped by fact that I didn't have my heavy bags, because I had left them in Harvey & would pick them up when I drove back the same way later that day!

I felt guilty getting in my big truck in Minot but not that guilty as the pictures show! I would be home for 9 days not 5 days - what a treat and though I had skipped about 125 miles, I promised myself that I would do them over my time in the UK to ensure I kept the mileage honest!

I drove the 265m to Fargo and arrived at about 7ish in time to find a hotel and a Sushi restaurant for dinner - what a treat especially when I found that Kobe was staffed by Japanese who had worked in New York for 8yrs. They knew what they were doing and they realised I loved my food so I was treated extremely well - appears they aren't appreciated all that often in Fargo so a bit of appreciation resulted in 3 special non menu dishes for me which were delicious. What a great way to end an awfully long day. 

I would have all of Sunday to relax in Fargo before flying home for a mid trip break..... but as it turned out I would still have my first bike accident the next day! 
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: